Bylaws: Proposal for Changes Feb. 2017
PROPOSED BY-LAW UPDATES
CAL POLY WOMEN’S CLUB
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this organization is Cal Poly Women’s Club at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The Cal Poly Women’s Club is a non-political organization whose purpose shall be to provide social and cultural activities for members, to promote the welfare of members and students, and to be of service to the University.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1 – Eligibility:
Membership shall be open to the following persons:
- Any current non-student employee of either the University or a campus-recognized auxiliary organization, or the spouse of any such current employee.
- Any retired non-student employee of either the University or a campus-recognized auxiliary organization, or the spouse, widow or widower of any such retired employee.
- Any person who has formerly been an active member of this Club, but who does not currently meet the eligibility requirements set forth in Section 1-a of the Article.
Section 2 – Membership Privileges:
Members, upon the payment of dues, shall be entitled to all membership privileges, including voting, holding elective and appointive offices, and any other privileges deemed appropriate by the Club.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS
Section 1 – Enumeration:
The elected officers of the Club shall be President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Section Coordinator.
Section 2 – Term of Office:
Term of office shall be one (1) year from June 1 through May 31.
Section 3 – Elections:
Elections of officers, Members-at-Large and members of the Nominating committee shall be held at the April General Meeting (refer to Article XI).
ARTICLE V – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section 1 – President:
The President shall:
- Preside at all meetings of the Club and of the Board of Directors.
- Call special meetings if necessary and approved by Board of Directors.
- Make an annual report to the Club, as needed.
- Appoint all standing committees.
- Act as an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
- Approve emergency expenditures of unbudgeted items up to the amount established by the Board of Directors.
- In the absence or disability of the Treasurer, sign or endorse checks, drafts and notes.
Section 2 – Vice Presidents:
The two (2) Vice Presidents, in order of their rank, shall, in the event of absence, disability or death of the President, possess all the powers and perform all the duties of that office until such time as the Board of Directors shall fill the vacancy, or until the next election of officers.
The First Vice President shall:
- Arrange the year’s program with the approval of the Board of Directors.
The Second Vice President shall:
- Appoint and supervise all social committees for general and special meetings.
- Reserve the facilities for general meetings and assume the responsibility for room set-up.
Section 3 – Secretary:
The Secretary shall:
- Keep records of the meetings of the Club and the Board of Directors.
- Carry on the official correspondence of the Club.
Section 4 – Treasurer:
The Treasurer shall:
- Receive and disburse funds and have the authority to sign checks, drafts, and notes.
- Give reports to the Board of Directors and to the membership at general business meetings.
- Serve on the Finance Committee while in office.
- Submit the books at the end of the fiscal year. Submit books for audit of accounts every other year.
Section 5 – Section Coordinator
The Section Coordinator shall:
- Confirm the section chairpersons, who volunteer yearly.
- Coordinate the activities of the sections.
- Serve as the liaison between the Board of Directors and all sections.
ARTICLE VI – BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1 – Number, Manner of Selection, Term of Office:
The Board of Directors shall consist of the following:
- The six (6) elected officers;
- Four (4) directors appointed by the President.
These consist of:
- Chairperson of the Finance Committee
- Chairperson of the Membership Committee
- Chairperson of the Publicity Committee
- Additionally, there are three members-at-large elected by the general membership
Officers and directors shall hold office for one (1) year from June 1 through May 31.
Section 2 – Powers and Duties:
The Board of Directors shall consider, manage, and conduct business of the Club subject to the instructions of the general membership; approve unbudgeted bills and have charge of the Club property; and establish written policies and procedures as appropriate.
Section 3 – Meetings:
The Board of Directors shall meet prior to each business or social meeting or at the call of the President.
Section 4 – Quorum:
A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum.
Section 5 – Vacancies:
Any vacancy occurring on the Board of Directors by resignation, death or disqualification shall be filled by the President’s appointment upon approval of the Board of Directors.
President’s office, if a vacancy occurs, shall be filled by vice presidents in order of their rank (Article V – Duties of Officers, Section 2).
ARTICLE VII – GENERAL MEETINGS
Section 1 – Meetings:
Unless otherwise ordered by the Club, a minimum of four (4) meetings, business or social, shall be held from June 1 through May 31.
Section 2 – Special Meetings:
Special meetings may be called by the Board of Directors and members shall be notified one (1) month in advance.
Section 3 – Voting at Meetings:
A majority vote of the members present shall be required to carry a motion with the exception of bylaws amendments (Article XIII – Amendments).
ARTICLE VIII – FINANCE
Section 1 – Fiscal Year:
The Fiscal Year shall be from June 1 through May 31.
Section 2 – Dues:
Annual dues should be paid by the 30th of June but are accepted through December 31st. Dues are not prorated. Members’ dues shall be an amount to be determined by the membership at a general meeting.
Section 3 – Ways and Means:
The funds raised by any Ways and Means Project shall be used in support of Club capital projects and/or student related activities or other projects related to the purposes of the Club as set forth in Article II.
Section 4 – Enumeration of Finance Committee:
The committee shall consist of three (3) members; the members shall be:
- Current Treasurer;
- Additional members appointed by the President upon approval of the Board of Directors to keep the committee at minimum of three (3) members including Committee Chair.
Section 5 – Term of Office – Finance Committee:
The terms of office shall be one (1) year for each appointed member.
Section 6- Vacancy on Finance Committee:
In the event any member is not able to serve for the term of office specified, the President, upon approval of the Board of Directors, shall appoint replacements to fill the remainder of the term of that member.
Section 7 – Duties of the Finance Committee:
Duties of the committee shall be to:
- Advise the Board of Directors in the matter of Club funds and monies;
- Originate the annual budget;
- Arrrange every other year auditing for all accounts;
- Supervise the spending of monies for Scholarships and Loans;
- Cooperate with the Board of Directors and the Ways and Means Committee in recommending to the general membership the specific use of funds raised by Ways and Means projects;
- Submit all recommendations to Board of Directors for approval;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the President and approved by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE IX – SECTIONS
Section 1 – Sections:
May be formed for study or other activities upon authorization of the Board of Directors and are open to every member.
Section 2 – Chairpersons:
Chairpersons, volunteer within the section and notify the Section Coordinator. Section chairs shall select their own assistant(s) as needed.
ARTICLE X – STANDING COMMITTEES
Section 1 – Appointments:
Standing committees and their chairpersons shall be appointed by the President to carry on the work of the Club.
ARTICLE XI – NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
Section 1 – Nominating Committee – Member, Manner of Selection, Term of Office:
The Nominating Committee shall consist of a minimum of three (3) members, elected in April, to serve for one (1) year, June 1 through May 31.
- Three (3) members, one of whom shall have served on the Nominating Committee the preceding year, shall be nominated by the Nominating Committee and presented with the slate of Officers;
- Additional members shall be nominated from the floor at the April meeting;
- The Chairperson is be appointed by the President with Board approval from the elected group;
- Any vacancy during the year shall be filled by the President’s appointment with approval of the Board of Directors.
Section 2 – Prerequisites to Nomination:
The Nominating Committee shall use these prerequisites in selecting nominees:
- Elective officers shall currently be members and have been members for at least one (1) year;
- No person shall hold more than one (1) elective office at one time.
Section 3 – Procedures & Duties of Nominating Committee:
The duties and procedures of the Nominating Committee are to:
- Seek suggestions for nominations from general membership;
- Prepare Slate of Officers, including two (2) members of Nominating committee for the coming year;
- Publish list of nominees in Club newsletter prior to election;
- Present committee report and slate of nominees at April election meeting.
Section 4 – Report of Nominating Committee & Nominations From the Floor:
The report of the Nominating Committee and its nominations for officers, directors, and members of the succeeding Nominating Committee shall be presented at the April meeting. Immediately following the presentation of this report, nominations may be made from the floor by any voting member, provided the consent of the nominee shall have been secured.
Section 5 – Election:
Election of the nominees will be held at the April meeting and:
- Shall be by ballot unless there is only one (1) candidate for each office, in which case the candidate may be elected by voice vote;
- Plurality of vote shall elect;
- Provided that there is but one (1) nominee for each office, the Secretary may be instructed to cast the ballot for every nominee.
- Proxy or absentee voting shall not be permissible.
Section 6 – Installation:
Installation of the Club elected officers shall be held at the last meeting of the program year.
ARTICLE XII – RULES OF ORDER
Roberts Rules of Order Revised shall govern at all meetings of the Club or Board of Directors unless in conflict with these Bylaws.
ARTICLE XIII – AMENDMENTS
These Bylaws may be amended by two-thirds vote of the members present at a regular meeting, the members having been notified one (1) month in advance of the proposed amendment.
Bylaws revised and approved
by general membership June 2000